Not only does Calcium help keep our bones strong, but there are many reasons to keep adequate Calcium levels up including for weight loss. Calcium helps play a role in the prevention/treatment of the following conditions:
- Kidney Stones
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- IBS – Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome
- Colon Cancer
- Support for muscles/nerve functioning properly
When dietary intake of calcium is too low to maintain normal blood levels of calcium, the body will draw on calcium stores in the bones to maintain normal blood concentrations, which, after many years, can lead to osteoporosis.
Excellent sources of calcium include spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens and tofu.
Very good sources of calcium include blackstrap molasses, Swiss chard, yogurt, kale, mozzarella cheese, cow’s milk, goat’s milk, basil, thyme, dill seed, oregano, and cinnamon.
Here is a recipe for my Spinach Lasagna that has about 350 mg of Calcium:
- 1/2 lb cooked lasagne noodles
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/8 cup mozzarella and 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheeses with all of the cottage cheese. Mix well and set aside.
- Combine tomato sauce with basil, oregano, onion, and garlic.
- Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Add a third of the noodles in a single layer. Spread half of the cottage cheese mixture on top. Add a layer of spinach.
- Repeat layering and add a thin coating of the tomato sauce (helps noodles stick).
- Top with noodles, tomato sauce, and reserved cheese mixture.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes.
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
To your health and eating to nourish~