This sweet potato curry is the best vegan curry I’ve ever had! If you are used to having this with chicken, well I’m here to tell you that the beloved sweet potato is gonna win your heart over…and over again. The creamy’ness of the sweet potato, chickpeas, and avocado, along with the spice of the curry will make you think you’re sitting down in a kitchen in India with every bite! And that ain’t no exaggeration.
Tips at the store
I try to find items that are already cut up, chopped up, and ready to throw into a recipe. I only use them though if there aren’t any other ingredients in there though, so no preservatives are allowed. Read the labels, meaning, read the ingredient list on the back to make sure no hidden ingredients are in there!
So if you’re short on time, in this recipe I used carrots, celery, and onion…that combo is called a mirepoix. You can find a mirepoix mix at Trader Joe’s. Very simple. I used half of the container in this recipe so I will note that on the recipe itself as well.
Now let’s get you in the kitchen to get cookin’!
Sweet Potato Curry
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 3 celery sticks, diced
- 2 bell peppers, chopped (red, orange, or yellow)
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 T minced ginger
- Big handful baby kale (can find in packages)
- 2 T curry powder
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 2 15oz can of chickpeas (rinse them first)
- 1 15oz can of fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 T sea salt
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into cubes
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the coconut oil, onions, carrots, celery, and bell peppers and saute till onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Now stir in the garlic, ginger, baby kale, curry powder and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the sweet potatoes, rinsed chickpeas, crushed tomatoes, coconut milk, salt and mix all together.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 25-30 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Adapted from the picky eater.